Master in Product Design and Development
Master’s Degree in Product Design and Development, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
Two editions per year starting in September and February. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Spanish. Some materials or lectures will be in English.
Year 2018-19: 9,400€ (plus 500€ registration fee).
Year 2019-20: 10,000€ (plus 400€ registration fee).
• University degree, college or Bachelor’s certificate.
• Preferably degrees in Design and degrees in Engineering in Industrial Design.
• High level of Spanish.
How should the new products we need be? What are the needed tools and skills to model, represent and simulate the behavior of a product, picking the material and the most appropriate manufacturing process?
The training programme’s itinerary of the Master in Product Design and Development ranges from the initial concept to the different phases of the design and engineering process to the final product development.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Product Concept participants are invoved in research projects in design, within the dimension of the industrial product. In the course, we work simultaneously with Experimental Design and with real projects based on collaboration with companies. The connection of these two poles is our own concept-generating resource for future industrial products. The Postgraduate Diploma in Product Development focuses on providing solid knowledge on the latest manufacturing technologies offered by the industry, the tools of simulation and rendering of a product and the different materials available in the market, in order to develop the product in the simplest, most efficient and economical way possible.
The master's degree is aimed at specializing and updating professionals and postgraduates from different sectors, especially professionals in the field of design and product development engineering. Most of the professionals who collaborate in teaching the master come from these areas.
One of the key points of the success of the Master in Product Design is the relationship with the companies that collaborate with the course, since they carry out continuous monitoring and assessment of the group of students, in order to develop the briefing of the proposed project. The visits to technological centers and companies allow a very direct contact with the current professional reality.
Some of the companies we have collaborate with and that have their own design and production are:
Play, Hewlett Packard, Cosmic, Roca Sanitario, Santa&Cole, Simon, Figueras, Valira, Lamp Lighting, Educa Borras, Laken, El Naturalista, Teck-Rock, Zobele Group, Esportiva Aksa, Pando, IMC Toys, Taurus, Solac, Crevin, Signes, FujiFilm, Cata y Madel.
- Enhance the initial phase of the design process by: 1) The application of creativity techniques. 2) User-centered design resources. 3) Methods of Experimental Design.
- Know the current situation of product design, through the designers participating in the course from the most relevant agencies and studios in the sector.
- Experience the knowledge acquired through the realization of real projects with companies. These companies are producers and have their headquarters in Spain. We collaborate with representative firms of various sectors of the industrial product.
- Provide solid knowledge about the latest technologies in the industry and the different materials that the market offers, in order to develop the product in the most simple, effective and economical way.
- Learn about the technological viability and the production costs of a project to take the best decisions in the course of its development.
- Study and assess the concrete decisions that are taken on a product development project through the exhibition and discussion of real projects carried out by companies.
- Learn to use different CAD (Computer Aided Design) / CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) tools that allow to represent, visualize and simulate the behavior of a product to guarantee the viability and the correct operation of the final product
- Ability to identify opportunities and define design concepts.
- Ability to argue and represent concepts and to express and defend the design proposals and the technical decisions made.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams for the management of new products.
- Ability to carry out new product projects, from the conceptual phase to the technical development.
- Ability to assess the functional, aesthetic, cultural, technological, economic and communication implications of the new product to be developed.
- Ability to apply the creative techniques of reference, as well as the most effective management and expression resources.
- Ability to apply the knowledge acquired from the selection of materials, transformation processes and structural and kinematic simulation, to the project of redesign or optimization of a product.
- Ability to use the prototypes as a validation tool for the company projects carried out.
- Ability to apply CAD / CAM / CAE tools, to generate any 3D geometry, quality rendered images and videos of assembly and operation of the product.